There are many ways in which we can all be tracked online, from search engines to marketers. Technology keeps improving, and with that, tracking also improves. Awarness of the privacy invasive methods that some of these companies use has grown, but there is a lack of awareness of the companies that provide privacy protecting services.
With that in mind, we think it is immensely useful to hold a 'privacy technology fair' at CFP conference this year.
The technology fair will take place on Tuesday afternoon (June 15th) from 1:15pm to 4:45 p.m. San Jose State University Student Union, San Jose, California. For more information about the location, please see our Travel Information page.
We are currently inviting companies who would like to show off their privacy protecting technologies. If your company would like to be included, please contact Deborah Pierce at firstname.lastname@example.org
Every day we hear about new ways in which our privacy is invaded; from companies tracking our online browsing habits to search engines keeping our online queries, to social networks that know more about us than our own moms.
We're often left with a feeling of helplessness when it comes to protecting our privacy online.
With that in mind, we decided that the time is right to hold a "Privacy Enhancing Technologies Tech Fair" to help us find technologies and products that help us to protect our privacy online.
Come visit the Tech Fair Tuesday, June 15 from 1pm-5pm and meet representatives from around a dozen different companies, all who have protecting our privacy in mind.
List of Companies:
- 9Proof – Makers of Scrambit, the most advanced mobile voice encryption software for your Windows Mobile PDA phone; BladeBox extreme, the data security solution that allows you to protect and keep your information private by using advanced encryption; and Wiperaser Ultra, the most complete and innovative software product for secure deletion of data from mass memory storages. <http://www.9proof.com>
- Accellion – *Protecting the transfer of intellectual property, ensuring compliance, improving business productivity and reducing costs are the reasons companies around the world select Accellion secure managed file transfer. <http://www.accellion.com>
- Anonymizer Universal™ combines the most secure VPN access with untraceable IP addresses and a hardened network to provide you with privacy and a secure Internet experience. <http://www.anonymizer.com>
- Bynamite shows you what advertisers know about you. You get to control the information they use to find you. It's completely free and safe to use. <http://www.bynamite.com>
- Haystack obfuscates search queries with machinegenerated queries that are designed to be as close to indistinguishable from the human generated ones as possible. <http://www.haystackproject.com>
- Secret 1-2-3 – The world's easiest to use email security ever! <http://www.secret123.com>
- Symantec helps consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. <http://www.symantec.com>
- Tor is a free software implementation of second-generation onion routing, a system enabling its users to communicate anonymously on the Internet. <http://www.torproject.org>
- TrackMeNot is a lightweight browser extension that helps protect web searchers from surveillance and data-profiling by search engines. It does so not by means of concealment or encryption (i.e. covering one's tracks), but instead, paradoxically, by the opposite strategy: noise and obfuscation. <http://cs.nyu.edu/trackmenot/>
- Tribe.net believes in the power of connecting to other people to get things done. Since that can be surprisingly hard in a city, we founded tribe.net to make it easier. <http://tribe.net>